Interview Questions for maritime students:
1. What is safety?
Safety is the state of being “safe” (from French sauf), the condition of being protected against physical, social, spiritual, financial, political, emotional, occupational, psychological, educational or other types or consequences of failure, damage, error, accidents, harm or any other event which could be considered non-desirable.
Safety is ABC- Always Be Careful
Safety is free from the occurrence of danger or any kind of risk.
2. What is Marpol?
Marpol 73/78 is the International Convention for the Prevention of Pollution from Ships, 1973 as modified by the Protocol of 1978.
3. What are the annexes of Marpol? (O-NO-HA-SE-GA-A)
I – Oil, II- Noxious Liquid Substance, III – Packaged Form, IV- Sewage, V-Garbage, VI- Air
4. What are the four pillars of IMO?
STCW-Standards of Training, Certification and Watchkeeping(1995)
SOLAS- International Convention for the Safety of Life at Sea (SOLAS) is an international maritime safety treaty.
MARPOL- Marpol 73/78 is the International Convention for the Prevention of Pollution from Ships, 1973 as modified by the Protocol of 1978.
MLC- Maritime Labour Convention, 2006 was established in 2006 as the fourth pillar of international maritime law and embodies “all up-to-date standards of existing international maritime labour Conventions and Recommendations, as well as the fundamental principles to be found in other international labour Conventions”.
5. How many miles can you throw garbage onboard?
- Plastic – Prohibited
- Floating dunnage, lining and packing materials – 25 nm
- Paper, rags, glass – 3nm
- Paper, rags, glass(ground) – 12 nm
- Food waste – 12 nm
- Food waste (ground) – 3 nm
6. What are the steps to be done when there is a fire inside the engine room?
- Raise the alarm
- Inform the bridge
- Locate/use a fire extinguisher or fire hose
7. What are the fire triangle and its composition?
- Heat, Fuel, Oxygen
8. What are the appropriate fire extinguishers to be used in case of fire (the interviewer will cite an example or situation)
- A(Wood/Paper) –
- B(Flammable Liquid)-
9. How will you encourage your team to follow safety precautionary measures and best working practices onboard?
10. How will you maintain safe working practices onboard?
11. What are ECA and SECA?
12. What is ORB?
13. The minimum amount of oxygen a human needs when entering an enclosed space?